It seems to me that most people will indulge in at least a little chocolate….or if you’re like me, indulge in a lot of chocolate. Although indulging in chocolate can add quite a few calories, there are many properties to chocolate that actually make it healthy, especially dark chocolate. Because of this, chocolate is being added to more skin care products and lines every year. Here is why:
1. Chocolate, specifically dark chocolate, is chock full of a specific type of antioxidant called flavanols. These wonderful antioxidants, when used on the skin, fight free radical damage seen by UV rays, smoke, smog and pollutants
2. Caffeine is a natural diuretic which eliminates excess water. For the skin, it pulls out excess water that is stored in the form of puffiness (especially under the eyes)
3. Dark chocolate has been proven to be an anti-inflammatory. Many recent studies show that a piece of dark chocolate can equal the affects of an aspirin. Decreases inflammation in the skin and allows for the skin to repair quicker and more effectively.
4. The Journal of American Medical Association has recently published a report showing that dark chocolate reduces blood pressure. It is thought to be due to the caffeine content and anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Eating chocolate releases endorphins. Endorphins are those wonderful little hormones that make you feel good. Every wonder why happy people have glowing skin? It’s those endorphins…they release powerful anti-aging chemicals into the blood.