By Mikala Ewald
Spring is finally upon us, which means it’s almost time to start showing off that flawless skin of yours! Makeup trends may come and go with the seasons, but one look that is always in style (now more than ever!) is the natural look. While flipping through fashion and beauty magazines recently, The Skintourage noticed a lot of bare faces. So how do you achieve this no makeup look without looking made up? The goal is to enhance your own natural beauty. Here are 5 basic steps to help you succeed:
1. Start with clean, moisturized skin. Cleansing and moisturizing twice daily is essential for flawless skin, and it creates a perfect canvas to work from. It is also beneficial to use a foundation primer prior to applying your makeup. Primers create a smooth, even surface on your skin and help makeup stay on longer. Click here to see some foundation primers.
2. Choose a sheer (liquid) foundation or a tinted moisturizer in a shade that perfectly matches your skin tone. Sheer foundations and tinted moisturizers give a more natural look to the skin as compared to cream or cake foundations. Blend the foundation very carefully, ensuring not to leave any lines of demarcation. Start in the center of the face blending outward to the hairline, in front of the ears, and just under the jaw line. Click here for some tinted moisturizer options.
3. Once the foundation is properly blended, conceal any blemishes using a concealer that is just slightly lighter than your foundation color. Use only a small amount of concealer, just enough to hide the blemish.
4. Next, lightly dust a translucent powder over the entire face to set the foundation. Now all you need is a little bit of blush, mascara, and lip balm or gloss.
5. Choose a blush that is similar to your natural blushing color and blend to a soft glow using a blush brush (for powder blush). Applying cream and gel blushes with your fingertips is a great option for the natural look, but they should be applied prior to translucent powder (after step #3). Brown mascara will provide a softer, more natural look than black mascara. Apply lightly so it doesn’t appear clumpy. Use a clear gloss or balm to moisturize your lips and show off your natural lip color.
Remember that the goal is to enhance your own natural beauty! Don’t be afraid to customize the look to fit your style by throwing on a pink lip-gloss to show off your lips or a little bit of bronzer for a beachy glow. The possibilities are endless!